SKETCHES, PHOTOS, THEORY AND RANDOM ARCHITECTURAL THOUGHTS BY AN EDUCATOR (AND WANNA-BE GLOBETREKKING) ARCHITECT.

Sunday, August 9, 2020

A NOTE TO MY FALL CLASSES

The Norwegian (and global) architecture firm Snohetta uses this image of the “Communal Kitchen Table” as a way to illustrate the creative and collaborative nature of their firm’s culture.  I see this image as a metaphor of a design studio as well. A studio as a “Communal Kitchen”, and I wonder what my Fall studio classes will look like when we can’t ‘eat’ together (create together).

My summer classes were kind of frustrating.

I taught the same two classes I always teach each summer, but this year they were delivered fully online.  Let me tell you about how that went.

 

One class in particular, some students struggled to simply complete the work.  This would not have happened in the traditional face to face class.  In the FTF class, students would normally get the work done in class without many issues. 

 

The thing is, that in-person lab class would normally meet (in a computer lab) for 5 hours, twice a week.

 

So what was different this summer?  One difference, I cut the number of assignments by 30% this to try to address the transition to online learning.  That should have helped the class.

 

The other difference, of course, is that students needed to do this work independently.  And in some cases, that didn’t work out very well.  I’ll resist the temptation to pontificate about distracted learners and short attention spans.  But I wonder why it seems harder for students to manage their time working from home?

 

In my desire to try to deliver the best online content possible – I worked feverishly to develop many instructional videos. 

 

And then the students didn’t watch them.  Some did.  But some didn’t.  It became clear in the work that was submitted (and the number of views each video received).  Colleagues have shared the same frustration with me.

 

Do the students understand that this behavior is the equivalent to skipping class?  No wonder they are confused about the homework.

 

So is it the students capacity to work independently that is the problem?  I mean, I am distracted working from home too, and I can’t even imagine some of the challenges that my students are undoubtedly facing.

 

Or

 

Is it my ability to create engaging content?  (sometimes the content is what it is, but I do have much to learn about online pedagogy)

 

How do I do this better in the Fall?  (which starts in a matter of weeks)

 

Another challenge this summer was student communication, or lack thereof.  What happens when students don’t check their email?  Of if they don’t respond? Or if they don’t respond in a timely manner?  Or if they don’t communicate other extenuating issues to me that I need to know?  Or if they just disappear?

 

How do I improve communication in an online environment?  One student informed me that “their generation doesn’t use email.”  Well, ok – but the professional world still does. (and besides it's the only tool I am given)

 

One of the clear challenges to distance learning is the “distance” part.  Losing contact with that metaphorical “communal kitchen” that is the design studio.  If a student has a question in a classroom, I walk to their desk, and the issue is resolved in a matter of minutes.  Online it is different.  There are more layers, and distance, between me and the students.  And very few students reached out to me for help this summer. 

 

I need students to go more out of their way to seek help when they need it.

 

If a student were writing this, I wonder what they would say?  I am sure they would share their own frustrations.  (probably some of them with my performance)  I know many were frustrated by technology, computers, software, etc. 

 

What other issues do the students have with this format?  How can I help them overcome these obstacles?

 

Please don’t mistake this missive as a lack of empathy on my part.  I know these are challenging and wildly unusual times.  I know some of my students have real struggles and significant challenges.   

 

So as we begin the Fall semester, these are some of the “distance learning” challenges I would like to address. 

 

I want you, my future students, to help me do this better. 

 

But I also want you, future students, to do this better yourselves. 

For you.  For your future.  For your education.

 

While we are living in unusual times, it is also a time of incredible creative opportunities.  For my studio, learning to be creative, productive, and professional in a mostly online environment will absolutely benefit your future career.  This pandemic will change the way we work.  Being able to thrive in this environment is now a key ingredient for future success.


And architects embrace ambiguity.  We are creative problem solvers.  We are trained to thrive in environments with high uncertainty. 

 

Sound familiar?  (What will happen this Fall is anyone’s best guess)

 

However, you, student, future architect – are well equipped to succeed in this environment.  If you choose to be.  If you are “present” and you engage with the content, do the work, communicate, and ask for help.

 

And I will do my best to support YOU.  I will try, in this mostly online studio, to create a culture that seeks to become a ‘communal kitchen’ of ideas, creative work, and shared (at a distance) successes.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment